The start of my first Steampunk costume begun yesterday. After long debate and much discussion the husband settled on patterns a couple months ago. We went to Fabric Depot , my favorite sewing central store in the Portland Metro Area, and a couple hours later we came out with yards, and yards of fabric, trims, and notions. We had picked up the patterns during a fortuitous stop at our neighborhood Joann Fabrics, turns out Simplicity patterns were a dollar each that day and we had no idea when we decided to stop by while out shopping for other things. Armed with the patterns I worked up a list of what we would need using Excel so I could have it do the adding for me. The lists proved quite useful at the fabric store.
So back to the Gentlemen’s shirt. This is a basic white shirt, well almost basic, the material has decoration in a white on white paisley pattern. The pattern is Simplicity 2895 and should be quite nice if I can pull it off. We are using the shirt and vest from this pattern and a long coat from another pattern (posts to follow when I get started on it). In the end this will be a costume for a Steampunk mad scientist. Should be quite nice. If I am lucky I will get all my costuming done before Halloween, as that is always the goal, though I am off to a slow start. Hopefully I will make good progress on the shirt the rest of this week and can start on the coat next week.