Geeky crafts, costuming and other DIY stuff.
Well it has happened, rain again in the fall just in time for the little ones to head to school today. And with the rain comes the realization that once again I am behind the 8-ball in getting these costumes done. I am half done with the hubby’s gentleman’s shirt, which leaves his vest and jacket left to go. Of course he will need to Steampunk them some after that, well even just buttons are something I am waiting for him to decide upon.
Then it is on to the Fairy Costume for my daughter which will be much simpler (I hope) then what I am working on now. She is going with the Tinkerbell costume from Simplicity, but is doing the water fairy (or so she tells me) but in purple. My son is not sure if he wants to be a stunt man, or his Lego Universe character (we are Beta testing).
And lastly there is mine, always put mine last so I don’t have to feel bad if mine doesn’t get done in time, at least everyone else will be doing good.
If anyone has some good, and reasonably priced places to buy gears, keys, watch parts, and other random accessories of a Steampunk nature that would be great!!
So once again I am getting a late start on my costuming efforts despite picking out 3 of 4 costume patterns and doing 60% of the material and notion shopping early. Seems that sewing in the nice weather just isn’t my things. If it would just start raining and we had to turn the heater on I am sure I could get into it.
I did get the first 4 steps done on the hubby’s shirt for his steam punk costume. Other then one small cut that went a tad too deep all seems to be going well so far. I have managed to get the front parts on the shirt where the buttons and button holes will someday (hopefully soon) go. There is a certain trick when sewing with white on white paisley pattern to make sure you get the correct side as the “right” side all the time. I think I am good so far, but will double check in the morning when my eyes are not so tired.
The start of my first Steampunk costume begun yesterday. After long debate and much discussion the husband settled on patterns a couple months ago. We went to Fabric Depot , my favorite sewing central store in the Portland Metro Area, and a couple hours later we came out with yards, and yards of fabric, trims, and notions. We had picked up the patterns during a fortuitous stop at our neighborhood Joann Fabrics, turns out Simplicity patterns were a dollar each that day and we had no idea when we decided to stop by while out shopping for other things. Armed with the patterns I worked up a list of what we would need using Excel so I could have it do the adding for me. The lists proved quite useful at the fabric store.
So back to the Gentlemen’s shirt. This is a basic white shirt, well almost basic, the material has decoration in a white on white paisley pattern. The pattern is Simplicity 2895 and should be quite nice if I can pull it off. We are using the shirt and vest from this pattern and a long coat from another pattern (posts to follow when I get started on it). In the end this will be a costume for a Steampunk mad scientist. Should be quite nice. If I am lucky I will get all my costuming done before Halloween, as that is always the goal, though I am off to a slow start. Hopefully I will make good progress on the shirt the rest of this week and can start on the coat next week.